Currently more than 55% of the resort’s employees are Maldivian and despite most coming from the nearby islands, the remote location of Hadahaa means nearly all staff live on the island. With this in mind, Park Hyatt has begun to develop a symbiotic relationship with the neighbouring islands and has formed a committee of elected ‘Ambassadors’ to represent the different communities. Through better connectivity, shared knowledge, development of business skills, and encouragement and participation from both sides, Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa hopes to create a mutually beneficial programme that inspires sustainable development projects, allows the resort to gather supplies and recruits from nearby islands, and ensures the local communities develop and prosper.
Hadahaa Thrive will therefore utilise the knowledge and abilities of employees as well as the wider communities, in order to give everyone a means, as well as the education, to act on their concerns. Through better understanding of each of the island’s industries, skills and employment opportunities, Park Hyatt will be able to introduce sustainability goals, provide guidance and support, and open up a unique channel for employees to add value to their communities. Hadahaa Thrive will also enable the resort to purchase the high quality local produce and handicrafts, maintain sustainable work practices and hire new recruits.
Park Hyatt has selected Gemanafushi and Dhandoo as the first communities to take part in the kick-off projects, based on the number of employees from each of these neighbouring islands. The programme will initially focus on improving five key areas:
• Business Development – Agriculture and handicrafts
• Career Development – Career advice: job application through to job development
• Hospitality – Development of skills required for the hospitality industry
• Environment – Provision of education and guidance to ensure sustainable and environmental awareness in order to support the long term maintenance of the islands natural resources and bio-diversity
• Social Awareness – Health advice and drug awareness